Summer is quickly approaching and this is one of our favorite summer wine pairings; pasta with freshly shucked corn, sausage (optional) and fresh basil. Cheers to warmer days ahead!
Pair with rosé or aromatic white wines.
- 1lb, short cut pasta (ie Ziti, Orecchiette)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive Oil
- 1/2 lb, italian sausage (sweet or hot), removed from casing
- 3-4 scallions, sliced
- 2-3 ears of corn, shucked
- 2-3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- Grated parmigiano or pecorino cheese, 1/4 cup, more to serve
- 1/2 cup of torn basil, more to serve
- Fresh lemon juice and lemon zest, to taste
- Cook pasta in well-salted water until just short of al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large sauté pan over medium heat; sauté sausage until lightly browned, remove from pan. Add scallion and cook until soft, 3-4 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of pasta water and all but 1/4 cup corn; simmer until corn is heated through and almost tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add generous pinch of salt and pepper, purée in blender or food processor until smooth.
- Melt butter in pan (you can use the same pan) over high heat. Add remaining corn and cook until tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the corn purée and cook briefly. Return the sausage.
- Reduce heat to low. Add pasta and reserved pasta water (1/4 cup at a time), tossing to coat. Cook briefly, then add a little more of the pasta water if the mixture seems too thick. Stir in the cheese and the basil. Sprinkle with fresh lemon juice to taste. Serve and garnish with more scallions, basil, a drizzle of olive oil and freshly cracked black pepper.