One of our favorite summer pairings; the fruit, acid and hint of herbaceousness of our rosé compliments this dish perfectly. In California, summer is fish taco season; so grab a group of friends, crack open a bottle of Drive Wines Rosé and venture outside for some al fresco fish tacos.
Recipe Pairing: Fish Tacos w/ Nectarine Salsa & Drive Wines Rosé
For the fried fish:
- 1lb Halibut (or cod/bass), cleaned, sliced into sections, roughly 12 pieces
- 8oz soda water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or ground into paste
- 2 cups vegetable or canola oil
For the salsa:
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Persian cucumber, diced (or 1⁄2 cup english cucumber, diced)
- 2 nectarines (or mango/peach), diced
- 2-3 radishes, thinly sliced and diced
- 1 serrano pepper, diced, seeds and pith removed, or to taste
- 1 tbsp white onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup, cabbage, shredded
- Juice of 4 limes
- 8 corn tortillas
- Grated cheese such as mild cheddar, jack or queso fresco (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
For the fried halibut:
- Combine garlic, soda water, flour, tabasco and baking powder in bowl, season with salt
and pepper, whisk lightly until combined.
- Heat oil in a deep pan on medium high heat, until it reaches 375 ̊.
- Dip fish into batter to coat. Let excess run off and fry in oil. Fry 1.5-2 minutes per side,
until golden brown.
- Once finished, let fish rest on paper towels to remove excess oil.
For the salsa:
1. To make salsa, combine cucumber, nectarine, radish, serrano, white onion, juice of 3 limes, cilantro and toss in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
2. In a separate bowl, mix shredded cabbage with salt and juice of 1 lime.
- Heat corn tortillas over fire such as gas stove, grill, or toast in the oven, about 30 seconds a side or until slightly browned.
- Place slice of fried fish on the tortilla and top with salsa, cabbage, cheese and sour cream as desired.
- Serve with sliced limes and hot sauce.
- Enjoy with a glass of Drive Rosé of Zinfandel.